Investing in Arkansas
Arkansas is the headquarters for five Fortune 500 companies on the 2022 list including Walmart (1), Tyson Foods (81), Murphy USA (240), J.B. Hunt Transport Services (311), and Dillard's (488). With a strong economy, low cost of living, and healthy job growth, there's opportunity to invest in Arkansas. Legally, landlords are not required to maintain the same "standard of habitability" required by other US states but doing so can differentiate you as a landlord and ensure a great tenant experience.
The Nophin team crunched the numbers and found the five best places to invest in Arkansas rental properties.
Statewide vacancy rates
Little Rock, AR
Little Rock is the most populous city in Arkansas and is known for being the state capital, as well as for its fishing and outdoor recreation.
- Population: 202,591
- Median household income: $53,620
- Median 1-bedroom monthly rent: $775
- Median listing home price: $229,900
Fayetteville is a college town, home to the University of Arkansas, and is the second largest city in Arkansas.
- Population: 93,949
- Median household income: $47,350
- Median 1-bedroom monthly rent: $950
- Median listing home price: $399,000
Fort Smith, AR
Fort Smith is known for its Western heritage and its location on the Arkansas-Oklahoma state line.
- Population: 89,142
- Median household income: $45,233
- Median 1-bedroom monthly rent: $625
- Median listing home price: $175,000
Springdale is known for being a major hub for the poultry industry, as well as for its scenic views at the foothills of the Ozarks.
- Population: 84,161
- Median household income: $51,868
- Median 1-bedroom monthly rent: $700
- Median listing home price: $305,000
Jonesboro is home to Arkansas State University and known for its beautiful parks and recreation areas.
- Population: 78,576
- Median household income: $47,062
- Median 1-bedroom monthly rent: $675
- Median listing home price: $230,000
Nophin is landlord banking and software for rental properties
With FDIC-insured bank accounts and cards that seamlessly integrate with easy-to-use software, Nophin helps landlords increase returns and automate rental property finances. Check out what we offer on the Nophin homepage!
Methodology & Sources
To help us determine the five best cities in all states, the Nophin team used data from several sources including the 2020 United States Census, the Department of Housing & Urban Development, Federal Reserve Economic Data (FRED), the National Association of REALTORS®, Zumper, internal data, and other reputable sources. Image by Cliff, CC BY 2.0.